Unattended stove started Alpine Creek Fire

Top Stories

A fire at Alpine Creek Apartments was started by cooking on an unattendted stove, according to Tyler Fire Department officials.

“Fire investigators determined that the fire originally began in a kitchen due to unattended cooking on the stove. The fire spread from this location and extended into the attic area of the entire building.”

The fire displaced 24 apartments for the evening, although the majority of the damage was “located in a single apartment unit.”

Cooking remains the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries in the United States according to the latest statistics from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), with unattended cooking being a primary factor.

Citizens are reminded to stay in the kitchen while they are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove. For baking and roasting operations, citizens are encouraged to remain in the home, check regularly, and use a timer as a reminder. Additionally, keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop. In the event of a fire, get out of the structure and stay out. Call 9-1-1 from an outside location.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Right Now

KETK Summer Splash Giveaway Sponsored by: RV Station

Community Calendar

KETK Twitter & Facebook