AUSTIN, Texas (KETK) – East Texas school districts will be among those receiving personal protective equipment (PPE) from the Texas Education Agency to help ensure a safe reopening for the 2020-2021 school year.
TEA received the equipment in collaboration with the Governor’s Strike Force and the Texas Department of Emergency Management.
According to TEA, the PPE should arrive between mid-July and August.
The agency said PPE will be allotted on a per-pupil, per-district basis as calculated using 2019-2020 student and on-campus staff counts. On-campus staff includes teachers, administrators,
paraprofessionals, and auxiliary staff.
The statewide procurement includes:
|PPE Item||Amount Procured||For Whom||Current Status|
|Disposable masks||50,000,000||Students and staff||Ordered|
(infrared and no-contact)
|40,000||Students and staff||Ordered|
|Hand Sanitizer||500,000 gallons||Students and staff||Ordered|
|Reusable masks||12,500,000||Students and staff||Tentative|
|Face Shields||TBD||Students and staff||Tentative|
East Texas school districts will receive PPE in the following amounts:
- Tyler ISD – 164,448 disposable masks, 71,176 gloves, 135 thermometers, and 1,691 gallons of hand sanitizer
- Lindale ISD – 38,800 disposable masks, 19,003 gloves, 31 thermometers, and 399 gallons of hand sanitizer
- Longview ISD – 77,464 disposable masks, 34,348 gloves, 63 thermometers, 797 gallons of hand sanitizer
- Canton ISD – 19,576 disposable masks, 7,688 gloves, 16 thermometers, and 201 gallons of hand sanitizer
- Palestine ISD – 31,512 disposable masks, 15,593 gloves, 25 thermometers, 325 gallons of hand sanitizer
- Lufkin ISD – 72,608 disposable masks, 37,417 gloves, 59 thermometers, 747 gallons of hand sanitizer
- Jacksonville ISD – 45,984 disposable masks, 23,870 gloves, 37 thermometers, 473 gallons of hand sanitizer
- Gladewater ISD – 17,072 disposable masks, 9,269 gloves, 14 thermometers, 175 gallons of hand sanitizer
- Nacogdoches ISD – 57,096 disposable masks, 28,644 gloves, 46 thermometers, 587 gallons of hand sanitizer
To see what other school districts in East Texas are receiving, see the TEA spreadsheet here. Districts are arranged by TEA regions.