A Nacogdoches man suspected of two drive-by shootings is in custody on unrelated charges.
Nacogdoches County Sheriff Jason Bridges said Bryan Martinez is the primary suspect in both shootings.
The shootings occurred March 25 in Nacogdoches County on Highway 7 East and CR 522.
One person was injured in the shooting on Highway 7. NCSO said the victim was grazed by a bullet as he lay in his bedroom. No one was injured in the shooting on CR 522.
During the same time period, two drive-by shootings also occurred in the City of Nacogdoches. NCSO believes the shootings were related to local gang activity.
The Sheriff’s Office identified Martinez as a person of interest.
Sheriff Bridges implemented a task force made up of investigators and sheriff deputies that were assigned to areas of known gang activity. During this time, deputies made eight arrests in two days during the operation.
On Friday night, deputies stopped a car on CR 522 for a traffic violation and identified Martinez as a passenger. Deputies found a loaded 9 mm pistol in his waistband and took him into custody.
Authorities say the weapon that was recovered is the same caliber that was used in the drive-by shootings that have occurred in the county. The ammunition is also the same type.
Martinez, 19, was arrested for an outstanding grand jury indictment warrant for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He was also charged by the NCSO for unlawfully carrying a weapon and failure to identify – fugitive from justice both a class A misdemeanor.
The weapon and ammunition including the spent casings and bullet recovered from the crime scenes will be sent to a forensic specialist with the ATF to analyze the ballistics. More charges against Martinez are expected to be filed at a later time.
Other arrest made during the task force operation:
1. Bautista Beatriz 21 years of age charged with Hindering Apprehension a 3rd felony
2. Edgar Roberts 20 years of age charged with Possession of drug paraphernalia.
3. Hugo Saldana 19 years of age charged with Possession of drug paraphernalia.
4. Daniel Standley 37 years of age charged with Possession of Methamphetamine 2nd degree felony.
5. Brittany Gee 26 years of age was arrested for Motion to Revoke Probation charge from Angelina County.
6. Jason Johnson 38 years of age arrested on out of county warrants.
7. Edgar Garcia 20 years of age arrested for Possession of Methamphetamine a state jail felony.