Pearland man suffers from flesh-eating bacteria

News

A Texas woman is warning people about Vibrio, a flesh-eating bacteria, after her husband, Vince Chappell, was hospitalized. He is now in critical condition on life support. 

Chappell, 53, cut his foot on an unknown object as he walked into the water at Aransas Pass. The bacteria spread within 24 hours and took his ability to walk.  

Chappell thought he was experiencing leg cramps but later found out the pain was a result from the bacteria.

Chappell’s wife said she’s not only scared for her husband but for the people who aren’t aware of this flesh-eating bacteria and wants to warn others. 

“It’s awful. and I don’t want anyone else to have to go through this,” Janie Chappell said. 

According to the CDC, 80 percent of infections occur between may May and October. Vibrio lives in warm coastal waters. The bacteria causes about 80,000 illnesses each year and over half of those illnesses are the result of eating contaminated food. 

There have been 28 cases of flesh-eating bacteria in Texas this year. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Right Now

Community Calendar

Don't Miss

KETK Twitter & Facebook