The U.S. Embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan was closed on Sunday as a precaution in the wake of a deadly suicide attack at Bagram Airfield Base. The attack happened inside the military air base.
Four American were killed in an apparent suicide bomb attack early Sunday Bagram Airfield, the largest U.S. base in Afghanistan, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said.
Two of those killed were service members and two were contractors.
The explosion also wounded 16 other service members and one Polish soldier participating in the NATO mission, Carter said in a statement.
The Taliban claimed responsibility in a tweet praising the “strong attack” on Bargram Airfield.
In a statement, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said a suicide bomber had targeted “a sports ground where more than 100 military officer, important people and soldiers were busy exercising.”
The attack on the airfield had been planned for four months, he said.
A NATO coalition official told CNN that the bomber, who is presumed dead, detonated the suicide bomb vest on a side walk near where people were preparing for a run.
The base was under lockdown and additional security measures were instituted at all locations in Afghanistan for the United States and coalition allies, the official said.
Carter sent out a message for those who carried out this attack, “We will not be deterred in our mission to protect our homeland and help Afghanistan secure it’s own future.”