Local News

Man who killed San Antonio store owner set for execution

HUNSTVILLE, Texas (KETK) - A man who was convicted of murdering a San Antonio store owner in 2004 is scheduled to be put to death on Tuesday.

According to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, Christopher Young, 34, was found guilty of fatally shooting 55-year-old Hasmukh "Hash" Patel on November 21, 2004.

The Texas Tribune reports on Friday, the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles unanimously rejected Young’s clemency petition. His lawyers then filed suit against the board claiming they "likely voted against a recommendation to reduce his sentence or halt his execution because he is black."

When Young was 21-years-old, he entered the Patel's convenience store to rob him and ended up killing him in the process, the Associated Press reports. The crime was all caught on surveillance camera which showed Young shoot Patel in the hand before the bullet careened into his chest.

Young did not deny killing Patel, but claims he drank nearly two dozen beers and did cocaine the morning of the murder, according to the AP.

Prior to the murder, according to court documents obtained by the AP, Young had sexually assaulted a woman in her apartment with her three young children present. He then forced the woman into her car and made her drive off with him in the vehicle. However, she managed to escape. That's when Young took the woman's car and drove to Patel's store. Young was arrested an hour-and-a-half later after picking up a prostitute and driving to a crack house where police spotted the stolen vehicle.

The AP reports Young denied the sexual assault from prison, but DNA evidence confirmed the attack on the woman.

Young's execution will be the state's eight this year. Seven executions were carried out in Texas in 2017.

After Young, the next two executions for 2018 involve East Texas men.


On September 26, Troy Clark, 50, of Smith County is set to be put to death for the drowning of his former roommate Christina Muse, 20, of Tyler.

According to evidence presented in court, Clark and a co-defendant, identified as Tory Gene Bush, hit Muse with stun gun, beat, bound and kept her in a closet before drowning her in a bathtub.

Prosecutors said Clark and Bush then stuffed Muse's body into a barrel with cement mix and lime before dumping in a ravine.

Her body was discovered five months later by Tyler police.

According to the Associated Press, the motive behind the crime was Clark and Bush feared Muse would snitch on them for using and selling methamphetamine.

Bush pleaded guilty to the charge of murder intentionally causing death on August 7, 2000, and was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

In October 2017, the Supreme Court of the United States refused Clark's appeal claiming he had insufficient legal counsel during his 2000 trial in Smith County.

Clark's prior convictions include:

June 24, 1987 - Possession of a controlled substance - Cocaine (Released August 27, 1987 on parole)

January 8, 1993 - Possession of a controlled substance X2 (Released February 23, 1996)


On September 27, Daniel Acker, 46, of Sulphur Springs, is scheduled to die at the hands of the state.

In 2001, Acker was sentenced to death for March 2000 murder of 32-year-old Marquetta George.

In February 2000, Acker and George moved into a rented trailer home, shortly after they met. On the evening of Saturday, March 11, 2000, the pair went to a rode before heading to the Bustin' Loose nightclub, according to documents presented in court.

The couple got into an argument at the club and witnesses, who testified at Acker's trial, said he threatened to kill George that night. Documents state Acker was kicked out of the club, but returned several times looking for George.

"Around 9:15 a.m. on March 12, Acker went to the home of George's mother, Lila Seawright, still searching for George," court documents state. "Seawright testified at trial that Acker told her that if he found out George had spent the night with another man, he was going to kill them. Seawright replied that no one was worth going to the penitentiary for murder. Seawright testified that Acker shrugged and replied, 'Pen life ain't nothing. Ain't nothing to it.'"

Later that morning, after Acker returned to the trailer he shared with George, a bouncer, identified as Robert "Calico" McKee, at Bustin' Loose, brought George to the trailer. McKee told Acker he had taken George to her father's house to spend the night. Acker testified in court he did not believe McKee was telling the truth because he drove by George's father's house the previous night when he was looking for her.

According to Acker, George admitted she spent the night with Calico. Acker then asked George where Calico lived and she said she would show him, but instead, she ran out of the trailer.

Neighbors testified George darted from the trailer, screaming for them to call law enforcement. Acker followed her, grabbed her, threw her over his shoulder, forced her into his truck and sped away. 

Sedill Ferrell, who owned  a dairy farm in Hopkins County, found George's body and contacted the sheriff's office. Acker turned himself in to a law enforcement officer and was arrested. George's body was found less than three miles from the trailer where she lived with Acker.

Acker was convicted of kidnapping, then murdering George. An autopsy revealed she died from strangulation and blunt force trauma.



Latest News


  • KFXK Fox 51

  • Friday Football Fever

  • KETK News

  • KFXK Fox 51

  • Friday Football Fever Scoreboard

  • KETK NBC East Texas

  • KFXK Fox51 East Texas

  • MyEastTex Mobile App