Lifeguard contracts brain-eating amoeba

Local News
A sad and unusual report out of Grapeland, west of Lufkin, a lifeguard has died after contracting an extremely rare brain-eating amoeba.
 
Hudson Adams was working as a lifeguard at Frontier Camp in Grapeland and last weekend Adams started to get really sick. He was eventually brought to Houston where doctors diagnosed him with a non-contagious fresh water amoeba.
 
Frontier camp posted a video on Facebook explaining the situation.
 
“Please know that the health and safety of our campers, staff and our guests continue to be a top priority,” said Matt Raines, camp director. “We mourn the sudden and tragic loss of our friend Hudson. We ask for your prayers for the Adams family, for his friends and for his staff as we wrestle with the grief of this loss.”
 
Many people come into contact with this amoeba but experts don’t know why only a few are ever infected.
 
Click here is the full video on Frontier Camp’s Facebook page.
 
 
https://www.facebook.com/FrontierCamp/videos/10154313431688535/

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Right Now

KETK She Shed Giveaway Powered by Doran Mechanical

KETK Summer Splash Giveaway Sponsored by: RV Station

Community Calendar

KETK Twitter & Facebook