Houston teen dies from brain-eating amoeba

Local News

A Texas teenager died Wednesday evening just days after he was hospitalized with flu-like symptoms. Doctors believe he contracted a brain-eating amoeba.

A brain-eating amoeba, sometimes found in warm fresh bodies of water is believed to have claimed the life of Hudson Adams, a Houston teenager.

Adams just graduated high school and was working as a lifeguard at the Frontier Christian Camp.
The camp director said Hudson started feeling sick over the weekend with flu-like symptoms.

He was transferred to a local hospital on Monday, then flown to Memorial Hermann in the medical center, where he was put on life support.

This is the second case of a brain-eating amoeba in the Houston area in the last year. Last August, 14-year-old Michael Riley contracted a deadly amoeba after jumping into a lake in the Sam Houston National Forest.

Although rare, the brain-eating amoeba is highly fatal.
 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Right Now

KETK She Shed Giveaway Powered by Doran Mechanical

KETK Summer Splash Giveaway Sponsored by: RV Station

Community Calendar

KETK Twitter & Facebook