Three children and a teenager have died after a chemical poisoning at an Amarillo home Monday morning.
Captain Larry Davis of the Amarillo Fire Department says they believe all four lived at the home.
The victims have been identified as 7-year-old Felipe Balderas, 11-year-old Josue Balderas, 9-year-old Johnny Balderas and 17-year-old Yasmeen Balderas.
There were ten people in the home in total. The remaining people have been hospitalized.
It happened on the 1300 block of Carolyn.
Davis confirms a chemical used under the house to get rid of pests was the source of the poisoning.
According to officials, the fumigant has ben identified as Weevil-Cide.
The chemical Aluminum Phosphide was found at the scene. Aluminum Phosphide creates a highly toxic gas called Phosphine Gas when mixed with water.
Davis says the family was using a pesticide that included Aluminum Phosphate under their home. A family member tried to wash the chemical out from under the home with water, creating the toxic Phosphine Gas.
Davis says these deaths appear to be accidental with no criminal intent.
Amarillo Fire Crews were dispatched to the home at 5:04 a.m. on a possible Carbon Monoxide poisoning call.
Crews arrived at the scene at 5:10 a.m. They confirmed there was no Carbon Monoxide poisoning in the home.
Hazmat was called to the scene at 5:17 a.m.
Officials say there were ten people in the house.
Fire crews performed CPR on an unconscious child found at the home. Their efforts were unsuccessful, and the child was pronounced dead at the scene.
Davis tells us the rest of the household was sent to the hospital where three more children were pronounced dead.
Davis tells us the 911 call came in from inside the household.
There were no calls for evacuations in the neighborhood.