SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – Just when you thought you were going to be $125 richer.
Sorry, you may not be getting that Equifax data breach settlement money after all.
The Federal Trade Commission says so many people are asking for cash payments linked the 2017 data breach that there may not be enough money for everyone.
As part of a $300 million settlement, people impacted by the data breach were offered free credit monitoring or a check for up to $125.
But because of the high response, there simply isn’t enough money to go around.
The FTC is suggesting people choose free credit monitoring rather than a $125 check.
Latest News Headlines:
- Setting AC unit to 82 degrees while sleeping is best for ‘energy efficiency,’ federal program finds
- Man charged with murder in death of 9-year-old Detroit girl mauled by dogs
- Epstein may have gamed the system from beyond the grave
- Gregg County identifies two bodies that were found Monday evening
- Better Business Bureau on how to buy a used car